Thursday 31 May 2012

June GD at OUAS!!

YEEHAW! check this out ladies - got some super duper exciting news for you!

 OUAS June Guest Designer

Yup! that's ME can you believe it! Never in a million years did it enter my mind to even dream of a guest spot at OUAS. Each month I have drooled and aaaahh:d when seeing the amazing work of the DT and the super talented scrappers taking part in the challenges. No beating around the bush, I am thrilled to bits seeing my layout there on the main page! *pinching myself*

The theme of the June OUAS challenge is "Birthdays" and you can interpret the theme however you like based on the below sketch. You can journal as little or as much as you like, but your layout must incorporate this theme and the sketch below. Please make sure there is some sort of journalling on your layout and please tell where the journalling is. Hidden journalling is perfectly fine.

First, here's Nadia's pretty sketch:

I of course started thinking of when I turned 50, a milestone in my life, but also that special 8th birthday so long ago. I remember it so well, it was in 1967 and the Swedish grocery stores had just got something incredibly luxurious and NEW in their freezers - a cake entirely made of ice cream! oh dream of my dreams, mummy could I have that for my birthday pleeeease! and I did.

Only thing was, my mum had never seen anything like it in her whole life and it didn't strike her that ice cream is rather cold and solid ... ergo follows that we tried to hack our way into the surprise of all surprises but to no avail. Took an hour for the yumminess to thaw enough for us girls to be able to spoon it in and boy did we wolf it down!

But as usually my page took an entirely different route and the resulting page has nothing to do with regular birthdays. The title is kind of long for me: "Every day is the BIRTH of a new DAY". I've put the journalling at the back of my page as this page is a gift for a very special young lady who's been through her fair bit of rough spots in life, but who is now back on track again. A remarkable person!

My journalling tells her how every single day is a new day that starts with a clean slate and it is up to her to plant the seeds that will be her tomorrows. The flower bed in the photo is a symbol of that tomorrow and the view through the trees a promise of something that isn't visible yet. Hope, in other words.

So without further ado, here's my take:

OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday 4000px main

For quite some time now I've been so irritated at cardstock warping when misted upon. Nothing I've done has helped to straighten it out. This time I've used special paper for watercolouring, a yummie thick paper with just a hint of structure. Here I've actually mounted the top layer on top of another water colour paper and that made the trick for me!

I've used 6 mists to create the soft background: TA Chalkboard in Cornflower + regular Fall Breeze + Frost + Patina + Wheatfields and Garden Fairy.

 OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday - 2

For the first time ever I have also used Caran d'Ache Neo Pastel crayons, that's the teal "frame" bit. Here I used 3 different crayons: Turquoise Green nbr 7400.191 + Malachite Green nbr 7400.180 + Turquoise Blue nbr 7400.180. Used a dry baby wipe to blend the colours. Not the last time you'll be seeing me use the crayons!

 OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday - 3
Stickles in Diamond on the chippie chicken wire and a squirt or two of TA Wheatfileds on the big cream coloured bloom.

OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday - 4

What looks like fabric under the photo, is actually the tissue that I used to dab off excess mist when making the background. Looks really cool IRL if I may say so myself.

 OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday - 5
Layers and layers of fabric lace, doily lace, jewels and some more lace. The gorgeous green/white lace at the very bottom is a gift from my scrappy friend Lindy Gillespie in Australia, mwah to ya!

 OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday - 6
Ahhh, I should have put this under something heavy any way, that corner still doesn't want to stay down.

 OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday - 7
The photo is not my own, I found it on a British gardening site quite some time ago and have been waiting for the right moment to scrap it. The punched paper strips are from Swedish Maja Design's latest collection called Vintage Summer Basics.

 OUAS 1JUN2012 Birthday - 8
Stamping, stamping and some more stamping with TH Vintage Photo + Broken China + Wild Honey.

Think I have to go and have myself a really strong cup of coffee to recover. Thank you ever so much for your sweet visit!!

Toodelipip! xoxoxo Eila

20 comments:

  1. HUGE CONGRATS, EILA!!!!
    I absolutely LOVE this page, the background is so yummy! And the different techniques are just gorgeous. Love that photo too!
    And such a nice "twist" to this month's theme!

    halit
    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats great work Girl!!!
    Your page is a beauty again love your misting and stamping....amazing photo and yummie colors.
    byeeeee,Lean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Der var du! For en nydelig blogg du har :-)) Gleder meg til å følge deg!
    Nydelig LO du har laget, jeg må nok kaste meg på den utfordringen :-)
    Ønsker deg ei flott helg :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gratulerer så mye!!! Det er så fortjent! Du lager fantastiske LOer og denne her - noe av det vakreste jeg har sett fra deg. Og spesielt med tanken bak LOen, at det er en gave til en spesiell person. Du er jo bare så god og varm og jeg er sikkert på at hun kommer til å bli glad for gaven!
    Jeg bare elsker den blå/grønne fargen hvor du har brukt fargestifter og for ikke å snakke om våtservietten (baby wipes) under bildet, så genialt!
    Vakkert vakkert pyntet som tar opp tema fra bildet!
    ha en flott kveld og gratulerer igjen!
    klem
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ! What an amazing page ! So beautiful Eila and so full of different techniques beautifully executed. Congrats. on the Guest Designer position, so well deserved. Love the message of your page as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooooo huge congrats...I saw it over there...just gorgeous work :) YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.. this is really beautiful, and I love the thoughts behind the photo too! Well done on being a guest on OUAS, I am now going to follow you as I really love how you scrap!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, this is amazing! never heard of those crayons but that turquoise frame is to die for! will have to look into those for sure!! need it in green for a wedding layout i'm working on!

    as much as i love the 50ith birthday & 8th birthday stories & original idea i have to hand it to ya for being a little (ok, a lot) out of the box with this one! its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing textures, colors and picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huge Congrats on ur GD!! Totally deserved!! This page is stunning! Ur misting is supurb XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations to you on your GD , your layout is so divine, love the clusters and all the techniques ......wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw the LO first at OUAS last night and fell in love with it. I thought that the twisted fabric looked neat........LOL..I admire your innovative use of the baby wipe :) Please consider doing a video tutorial of your elaborate mixed-media technique filled LOs (when time permits). There is so much to learn from you. So proud of your DT spot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eila!!!! This is just gorgeous! Just went over to check out the sketch this month and saw your beautiful page! Gorgeous and congrats on the GD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You so belong as GD at OUAS Eila!!!! This page is a work of art! I can feel the love and joy you had creating it just flowing of the page. I hope your framing this one on a prominent wall, it deserves to be seen. Awesome techniques. Thanks for the inspiration and your style has just changed and I expect even more gloriousness from you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous lo! Love the coloring and mix. Congrats on the GD spot....yes congrats to you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI :) I followed you here from OUAS :) this LO is beautiful.. and great tips for the warping card :) Im a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  17. GORGEOUS!!!!! love it!! I can smell these flowers
    you did an amazing work! Take care my friend!!!
    A big hug! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulation on the GD spot, well deserved it my friend you are gorgeous!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. CONGRATs on your GD spot - I 'saw' you over there when I visited today to load my take on this challenge. Your page is stunning! I hear you about cardstock warping when you mist. I find that drying it on BOTH sides of the cardstock with a hairdryer helps and failing that I put the entire LO under a pile of books overnight lol :)))

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATS on your GDT spot! This is one amazing layout!! What I've been thinking whilst reading this is that you should try working with canvases and make some of those - they would be totally lush! Watercolour paper is a very good idea. What I do is I do all my misting and background effects, then, before adding all the dimensional stuff, I use a stick glue on the back of my layout all over and then stick it down onto a sheet of plain paper (the ones that come inside the photo sleeves when you buy a new album) that works for me at flattening it out. I also dry as I go along, using my embossing heat tool, not sure if that makes a difference...

    ReplyDelete